This is a brief news recap from last week. For faster updates, follow Miles For Family on Twitter or check the feed on the right side of the blog.
1) Southwest schedule was extended yesterday. It’s valid for flights on or before January 7th.
2) Reposting this information because the promo is now live:
This new IHG promo is valid for stays May 15th-August 31st, and you can register here The only one in the family who got a decent offer was my husband:
So, basically, by staying at two Holiday Inn Express properties, he can earn 33,000 IHG points. Not amazing, but it’s OK. I’ll probably pass on this deal, though. The only reason I would consider this promo is if we already had existing plans. But do check your personalized offer because some people apparently got a pretty sweet deal.
If you are a new reader, I suggest you check out these two posts on things to be aware of if you decide to participate:
3) On a related note, you can buy 5,000 or more IHG Rewards Club points and get a 100% bonus. So, the price works out to be 0.57 cents per point, depending on how many points you intend to buy. Offer ends May 19th. This deal is only worth it if you have an immediate redemption in mind. (Hat tip LoyaltyLobby)
4) If you don’t yet have Insight account, make sure to sign up for it. It’s a great place to stash your emergency fund and earn 5% APY in the process. And it’s even FDIC insured. How can you beat that? Read this post on DoC for more details.
5) An interesting data point from some folks on Reddit. Apparently, if you have Capital One Venture Rewards card, you can redeem your points on some gift cards at a fairly good rate. They have Marriott, Ritz Carlton, Fairmont gift cards in the amount of $900 in exchange for 64,250 miles.
That’s not bad at all assuming, of course, that you intend to use them on planned hotel stays. Capital One Venture Rewards card is on my Hot Deals list, and you can see more details on that page if you are interested. Be aware, Capital One pulls all three credit agencies. (Hat tip to Jeff H on Twitter)
6) It looks like if you apply for Chase Sapphire Reserve after May 20th, the travel credit will be based on cardmember rather than calendar year. It does not affect current cardholders (for now). Read my post for more on this subject.
7) Cheapest lap infant award tickets for international travel by Asthejoeflies. A super helpful post for new parents.
Leana is the founder of Miles For Family. She enjoys beach vacations and visiting her family in Europe. Originally from Belarus, Leana resides in central Florida with her husband and two children.