This is a quick post to give you heads up on the fact that the official offer on personal version of Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard will go down as of July 13th. Reportedly, business version will remain a 60K miles level, for now. A couple of things to keep in mind:
1) Very often Citi has zombie links that work long after the official offer expires. Obviously, no guarantee that it will happen this time, but this has been the case so far.
2) It’s very likely that the offer will come back at some point. At the very least, I expect it to be around 50K level. So, if you weren’t considering it before today, I don’t think you should drop everything and apply due to this news item. That said, if you were thinking about pulling the trigger within the next few weeks, it’s probably better to do it now, just in case.
3) If you want an easier way of accumulating AA miles, you may want to consider applying for AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite MasterCard instead. You can find more information and non-affiliate link here Assuming that you get approved, you’ll be getting 50K miles after paying an annual fee of $95 and buying a pack of gum with the card. More expensive than Citi offer? Sure. Ten times easier? Yup.
4) Despite of what you hear, AAdvantage miles can still be valuable under the right circumstances. Read my post for more on this topic. In fact, I’m currently in the process of actively collecting them in order to pull off our trip to South Pacific next year. But you can get plenty of value domestically as well, especially if you live near one of AA hubs.
5) You aren’t eligible for this bonus if you’ve previously opened or closed a Citi card in “AAdvantage” family, aka any AA co-branded card, within the last 24 months.
If you were already thinking of applying for personal version of Citi AA card, you may want to consider doing it today or tomorrow. Otherwise, no need to change your plans. Like Terminator, this offer will be back. I think. ( Hat tip TPG)
Leana is the founder of Miles For Family. She enjoys beach vacations and visiting her family in Europe. Originally from Belarus, Leana resides in central Florida with her husband and two children.