Best Credit Cards

My Husband Got Denied for US Bank Altitude Reserve… Now What?

Friends, an unthinkable has occurred. US Bank told my husband to go pound sand. I’m shocked! Offended! He only had 10 inquiries in the last two years and 7 new credit cards added to his file. What’s not to love, right? I’m kidding, of course. US Bank saw my husband for who he truly  is, thanks to me: an unprofitable customer. You are a worthy opponent, US Bank.

Image courtesy of ratch0013 at

Until next time… Bwahahaha!

I already asked my husband to make several credit card related phone calls recently, so reconsideration rigamarole is not happening. Plus, chances of success would be slim, based on my prior experience. US Bank is pretty stingy with approvals, which is why I was shocked when they gave me Altitude Reserve card. I guess I was thinking the lightning would strike twice but alas, it was not to be. This is something I don’t take personally, because it is  bank’s right to refuse to play ball. You win some, you lose some in this game, and I feel like I’ve won more than my fair share.

But it did throw a wrench in my plans. Last week I wrote about my hesitation with canceling Chase Sapphire Reserve because it offers airport lounge access. Normally, it’s not a swaying factor, but it looks like we will have a ton of flights coming up next summer, some with long layovers.  I was hoping my new US Bank Altitude Reserve card would  take care of this perk.

I’m still planning on canceling CSR card, though. As I’ve mentioned in my post, I have a plan B and C in mind. I could always renew my Altitude Reserve next May,  which will cost me $75 after factoring in $325 travel credit. If I’m feeling extra cheap, I may cancel it and just wait till June of 2018, so I can apply for Citi Prestige. That’s when I will be eligible for the sign-up bonus since I canceled the card last May (aka “24 months” rule).

In fact, it would be the perfect time to get this offer. Even with $7,500 minimum  requirement, I don’t think I will have an issue meeting  the spend. We have several insurance policies that renew each June, and I’ll have a ton of extra expenses during my trip as well.

If I get denied for Citi Prestige, well, I guess we’ll  somehow  survive in the airport terminal, with the regular folks. I flew for many years without taking advantage of airport lounges, and am prepared to do it again. For me, it’s the destination that truly matters, though hanging out in the lounge does make the journey more bearable (see my review of Club Mobay in Jamaica). And I enjoy it even more when it’s 100% free.

There is one more option. I have Amex Hilton Honors Surpass which I plan on renewing next year anyway, due to free weekend certificate. The card lets you buy a lounge pass for $27 per person. It’s not dirt cheap, but would be worth it during a long layover or a chance to relax in an air-conditioned space, rather than humid airport terminal of Papeete, Tahiti.

Chase Sapphire Preferred?

But the biggest reason why I plan on canceling CSR is this. I hope to swing by Chase branch and see if by any chance I’m pre-approved for Chase Sapphire Preferred. I was last time, back when I applied for CSR. Since I won’t be approved online due to 5/24 rule, it’s my only hope of getting this beautiful offer. If you are a new reader, see my post on why you may want to start with Chase cards.

I don’t know the exact formula of how one is chosen to be pre-approved, but I imagine that having fewer Chase cards helps. Yes, it’s possible to just lower credit limit, but canceling CSR may increase my chances as well. Right now, I have three Chase cards. If I cancel CSR, I’ll have two.  Plus, CSR and CSP cards have similar benefits. Perhaps, I will be more likely to get targeted if CSR is gone for good.

Like I said, I really don’t know the criteria, so I’m simply making assumptions. It’s possible this whole thing is moot point, or I may even hurt my chances by canceling CSR.

What about Chase Hyatt credit card?

This is yet another wrinkle. In September I was hoping to apply for new Hyatt offer that comes with 40k points+$50 statement credit. Direct link to apply I try to be conservative with Chase cards, so if I get CSP, I will have to forego Hyatt card for at least six months. Who knows, maybe by then it will become subject to 5/24 rule.

Logic dictates that CSP sign-up offer is superior to Hyatt card, and it definitely is. For one, you get 55k highly valuable Ultimate Rewards points that transfer to Hyatt and many other partners. Not to mention, there is always an option to redeem them on travel at 1.25 cents apiece.

There is one thing I really like about Hyatt card, though: annual certificate good for category 1-4 property. My husband got approved for Chase Hyatt card in June (back when it came with 2 free nights), so his certificate will hit next June. If I get approved for Hyatt card as well, we’ll have two certificates, good for a weekend getaway.

I know that I should go by Chase branch and try to get CSP if at all possible. Who knows if the pre-approval option that bypasses 5/24 rule will be around much longer. But then again,  who knows how much longer Chase Hyatt card will not be subject to 5/24 rule. Plus, in all likelihood, I’ll end up transferring UR points to Hyatt anyway.

Of course, there are other options on the market, like new Synchrony Cathay card with 50k  offer. But I don’t have any concrete plans for the miles, plus, CSP is far superior in every respect. I always go for flexible points if at all possible. So, I think a trip to Chase branch is in order.

Readers, what do you think? Any suggestions?

If you’ve found this content beneficial, please look at Support the Site page for ways you can help keep the blog running. Also, subscribe to receive free updates through email and recommend the site to your family and friends. You can follow us on Twitter and Pinterest, like us on Facebook and download  free e-book


Author: Leana

Leana is the owner and founder of Miles For Family. She enjoys beach vacations and visiting her family in Europe. Originally from Belarus, Leana resides in central Florida with her husband and two children.

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on LinkedIn

12 thoughts on “My Husband Got Denied for US Bank Altitude Reserve… Now What?

  1. I have to say it, you crack me up!: ” I guess we’ll somehow survive in the airport terminal, with the regular folks.”

    • Hi, Leticia! I ain’t worried. 🙂 My main concern is for my husband. He likes to stay cool, and some of those airports in South Pacific are not air-conditioned. But we can always buy passes or just renew Altitude Reserve card. I’ve just canceled my CSR, so that ship has sailed.

  2. @Cheapblackdad I’ve had it for over 11 months at this point. Breaking up was hard. It was gut wrenching to let it go, but I now have my sights on CSP. Moving on…

  3. @Leana I would’ve cried if I had to part with my CSR. I’m hoping to get hubby under 5/24 to apply for the CSP.

  4. Heard that if you confirm income online with chase, that more branch offers may become available. Read that worked for somebody. Worth a try.

    • @Lynn Sorry, your comment ended up in SPAM and I had to manually approve it. I have no idea why! Thanks for the reminder. Nancy mentioned it in one of her posts as well. I need to do that ASAP.

  5. @Stephanie LOL It was harder than I thought it would be! That card is a beauty and comes with all sorts of perks. However, I’m ruthless when it comes to annnual fees and the math just didn’t make sense in this case. That said, I can see why most people plan to renew CSR.

  6. Since I was able to get in on the 100k offer before it expired for CSR, I think I can justify keeping it for 1 more year, but not sure after that. I could downgrade to CSP, but it really only saves me $55. Trying to decide if it is worth paying $75 for me to be AU since card is actually in hubby’s name (I was over 5/24). We enjoyed the lounge in Montego Bay and Cancun airports. At the Cancun airport I had the bartender put 2 shots of rum in my bottle of Coke and took it on the plane with no trouble. That made flying home a little less sad. ; )

    • @Cari In general, CSR will be a better deal than CSP for most people in this hobby. As you correctly pointed out, the difference is only $55. Just a few trips to the lounge will make up for it. Majority will have no trouble utilizing $300 travel credit since it can be used on a variety of charges, not just airline. Of course, not everyone should renew CSR. You may have seen my post on this topic
      Ultimately, I’ve decided that renewing it was not wise in my particular situation. But I’m extremely picky when it comes to annual fees, plus, we have an avalanche of expenses coming our way in the next month or so. If my trip to South Pacific materializes, and it looks that way, we need to cut back on anything that is optional. CSR annual fee falls in that category.

    • @Clyn6 Yes, sure thing! I went ahead and changed it. I’ll be on the lookout for it if the comment ever shows your real name, so I can edit it right away. Sorry about that.

Leave a Reply