Note: I am currently traveling and may not be able to respond to comments or emails immediately.
In 2024, I’ve got two trips to Europe already booked. Combined with my family’s recent two trips to Europe, I’m actually hitting a lot of countries over three years: France, Switzerland, Italy, Turkey, Greece, Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark and Norway. Of course, I haven’t had the chance to visit these countries in depth, and there are more countries in the area. But for now, I’m ready to move on to visiting some countries in Asia.
My family members want to visit Japan for sure, so that’s definitely on the list. But I want to visit at least 1 or 2 more places in Asia. My top contenders are Hong Kong, China and Seoul, South Korea
Interesting sites include:
Ngong Ping 360: A glass-bottom cable car that travels 3.5 miles to Lantau Island
Pros of visiting Hong Kong:
- Hong Kong doesn’t require a visa to visit
- Signs are in English for easier navigation
- I have a friend who lives in the area
- Visiting Hong Kong will get me closer to my goal of visiting all of the worldwide Disney parks
Cons of visiting Hong Kong:
- No nonstop flights from Dallas (but there used to be one)
- Flight takes longer than flying to Seoul from West Coast of US (+2.5 hours more)
Interesting sights include:
Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) tours (I’m so intrigued by this!)
Themed cafes (Harry Potter cafe, Poop cafe?)
Busan is 2.5 hours away by train with more attractions and beaches
Pros of visiting Seoul:
- Nonstop flights available from DFW (AA and Korean Air)
- Flying time from West Coast is shorter than flying to Hong Kong
- Cost of hotels/meals is cheaper than Hong Kong
Cons of visiting Seoul:
- Seoul does not have a real Disney park 🙁
- Temperatures are cold in winter, so not ideal to visit during winter months
I’m sure the right answer is “visit both”! And hopefully I will do that eventually. But for those who have visited both Hong Kong and Seoul, which do you prefer? What other destinations in Asia are on your wish list?
Nancy lives near Dallas, Texas, with her husband and three kids. Her favorite vacations include the beach, cruising and everything Disney.