See our Advertiser Disclosure and Editorial Note here.
Chase recently launched the new United Quest credit card. Let’s take a look at the details and see who will benefit most from this new card.
The Sign-up Bonus
The Chase United Quest card (affiliate link) comes with a possible 100,000 bonus United miles:
- 80,000 miles after spending $5000 in the first 3 months
- 20,000 more miles after spending an additional $5000 (so $10,000 total) in the first 6 months
This launch offer is valid through June 2, 2021.
Card Details and Benefits
The card does have a $250 annual fee that is not waived the first year.
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases
- 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel
- 1X on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits (rebates from United award redemptions based on cardmember year).
- First and second checked bags are free for cardholder and one travel companion
- Priority Boarding
- 25% off United in-flight purchases
- $100 TSA Precheck/Global Entry Credit
Keep in mind that Chase won’t approve you for this card if you’ve opened 5 or more new cards in the past 24 months. See bank card restrictions for more details.
Who Should Get This Card?
If you are new to the miles and points hobby, this probably isn’t the best card to start with. Why? It has a high annual fee, and the points are not flexible. For newbies, I think the Chase Sapphire Preferred card with an 80k bonus with flexible points makes more sense (see my recent post here).
In my opinion, this card is good for people looking to rack up a lot of miles to get to Europe or Asia, and for people who have already received the bonus from the United Explorer card. The Quest card’s 80,000-mile bonus (or 100k if you spend the full $10k) can likely get you at least a one-way ticket to Europe in business class, which would otherwise cost thousands of dollars.
My family of five is trying to get to Europe next year on miles and points. I’m not going to get us there with just one credit card bonus. It’s going to take a few cards from both me and my husband to accumulate all the miles we need. This is a great bonus offer, and I plan to apply for it next month.
Nancy lives near Dallas, Texas, with her husband and three kids. Her favorite vacations include the beach, cruising and everything Disney.