This is a news recap from last week, tailored to regular families. For faster updates, follow Miles For Family on Twitter or check the feed on the right side of the blog.
1) Last reminder on IHG category changes that go into effect on January 15th! Make sure to book your desired property if it’s set to increase in price.
2) New Club Carlson promo, see details here To be honest, it’s kind of “weak sauce,” but could be of interest to some. Check out this page on Loyalty Lobby that compiles major hotel promos for the month of January all in one page.
3) You can now convert Virgin America Elevate points to Alaska miles and book Virgin America flights via alaskaair.com Details here Also, if you happen to have opened an account before December 5th 2016, you may find an extra 10,000 Alaska miles deposited as a gesture of goodwill. I got them!
4) Chase Southwest Business Premier card currently offers 60,000 points after spending $3,000 in 3 months. The annual fee of $99 is not waived. Apply via this direct link Read more details on this card here Excellent timing for those looking to get a Companion Pass.
5) I know that many of you are thinking about transferring SPG currency to Marriott in order to redeem points on 7-night Travel Package. Obviously, the biggest draw for most normal folks is Companion Pass on Southwest, which would be valid till the end of 2018. Frequent Miler has a good write-up on Marriott Travel Packages and things you need to be aware of
I plan to devote more posts to this topic before March 31st, the deadline for transferred hotel points to be eligible for Companion Pass qualification. It’s definitely NOT a no-brainer, so I recommend you think carefully about your upcoming travel plans before you choose to redeem your highly valuable SPG points in this manner.
8) 20 tips for visiting Disneyland with toddlers by Tripswithtykes.
9) Not sure if the links are still working for Fairmont card, so check my post.
10) Targeted link for 75,000 point bonus on American Express Business Platinum. For those who are not high spenders, this deal is better than my two-tier affiliate offer.
11) A promo from Plastiq (my referral link):
I’ve been very happy with this service so far and have no problem recommending it.
Totally unrelated to miles and points, but I just have to share! So, when my son was much younger, he used to be a biter. It was incredibly frustrating to get him to stop doing it, but he finally did (at 3 years of age). Well. The other day I went to pick him up from school and the principal walked him to the car. Apparently, he bit a boy on the shoulder and drew blood. Lovely.
What prompted this horrific behavior? Apparently, the boy told him he had a Sponge Bob toy in his backpack, but refused to show it to my son. So, my child thought that retaliating by biting him on the shoulder was the logical thing to do. I mean, it’s Sponge Bob, for goodness sake! We took away TV and iPad privileges for a week, so I’m losing my mind. To mommies out there, did this ever happen to your six-year old?
Leana is the founder of Miles For Family. She enjoys beach vacations and visiting her family in Europe. Originally from Belarus, Leana resides in central Florida with her husband and two children.