See our Advertiser Disclosure and Editorial Note here.
The #1 card I recommend to newbies in the miles and points hobby is the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. The offer just increased to 80,000 bonus points! Let’s take a look at the card.
Chase Sapphire Preferred
I recommend this card to newbies for many reasons. It has a high sign-up bonus, the points are extremely useful, and it has a low annual fee. Currently, the offer is:
- 80,000 bonus points (Chase Ultimate Rewards points) after spending $4000 in the first three months
- 3X points on dining
- 5X points on travel purchases through the travel portal
- 2X on other travel purchases
- $50 annual hotel credit
- $95 annual fee
So, what can you do with 80,000 points? A lot, actually!
- $800 cash back
- $1000 in travel booked through the Chase travel portal
- $1000 towards Airbnb through Pay Yourself Back feature (through June 2022)
- $1600 or more in value when you transfer points to travel partners like United, Southwest and Hyatt
I don’t know how long this elevated offer will be available, but in the past the offer lasted 4-6 weeks.
Who can’t get this card?
You won’t be approved for this card if you’ve opened 5 or more new credit cards from any bank in the past 24 months. You can only have one Sapphire card, so if you already own the Chase Sapphire Reserve, you are not eligible. You cannot have earned a Sapphire bonus within the past 48 months.
Advice for Newbies
If you haven’t been collecting miles and points through credit card rewards yet, please read my advice:
Nancy lives near Dallas, Texas, with her husband and three kids. Her favorite vacations include the beach, cruising and everything Disney.