See our Advertiser Disclosure and Editorial Note here.
A few weeks ago, I was approved for the new Capital One Venture X (our affiliate link). This is the hot new card with a 100k bonus miles. My husband was also hoping to get approved for the same card for another 100k bonus. However, we decided to space out our applications to spread out the annual fee and spending requirements a bit.
Well, I could wait no longer. He applied this morning through my referral link, and he was approved. Woohoo! He was at 4/24 (he has opened 4 new cards in the past 24 months) and does not have any other Capital One cards.
Capital One Venture X
As a reminder, here are the details of this card:
- Spend $10k in six months to get the 100k bonus
- No foreign transaction fees
- Earn 2X miles on purchases
- Earn 5X miles on flights booked through Capital One Travel
- Earn 10X miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel
- $300 statement credit for travel booked through Capital One Travel
- $200 statement credit for vacation rentals (airbnb, VRBO)–limited time benefit
- $100 statement credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck
- 10,000 bonus miles on card anniversary
- Access to Priority Pass Lounges and Capital One Airport Lounges with up to two free guests
- $395 annual fee
Yes, the $395 annual fee X 2 is a lot to swallow. However, we have to purchase one-way flights for an upcoming domestic trip, and we can use the $300 statement credit on both cards for that. We also have an airbnb booked this summer that will eat up the $200 vacation rental credit.
I like that we have a full six months to meet the $10,000 requirement for the bonus. With our regular purchases and our property taxes in the mix, we will have no problem doing that for both of our cards.
After we meet the minimum spending on both cards, we will have at least 265,000 miles combined. That’s 100k for each bonus, 20k for each minimum spend and a 25k referral bonus for my husband’s card. We plan to transfer the miles to airline partners to fly to Europe again in 2023.
Nancy lives near Dallas, Texas, with her husband and three kids. Her favorite vacations include the beach, cruising and everything Disney.