I have a cruise on Disney Cruise Line scheduled for next month. I booked it pre-Covid for just my daughter and me for her birthday party/present. (Don’t worry–my boys have their own separate trips planned that better suit their interests. We aren’t playing favorites).
I’ve been putting off making a decision on whether or not we will actually go on this cruise for obvious reasons. But now, my time to be wishy-washy is over. It’s time to fish or cut bait.
Why We’re Going on the Cruise
It really boils down to two reasons: We are comfortable with the risk and onboard protocols, and we prefer the cruise over our backup alternatives.
Yes, cruising carries a risk of Covid spread. However, all passengers 12 and over will be vaccinated. All passengers will have at least one Covid test prior to boarding (unvaccinated children will have two tests). The odds of my daughter getting Covid on the cruise ship are far less than the odds of her getting it at school where many aren’t masked and nobody is tested.
My daughter and I are comfortable with wearing a mask inside. We are also ok with the activity changes based on Covid protocols.
We love cruising. The Disney Dream and the Disney Fantasy have been sailing at 25% capacity. Reports from recent cruisers are overwhelmingly positive. We’re looking forward to relaxing on our balcony and frolicking on Disney’s private island for two days.
I’m using IHG free night certificates to stay at Cape Canaveral Beach Resort (formerly the Ron Jon resort) before the cruise. We will alternate between the lazy river and the beach before embarking the cruise ship. After the cruise, we are staying one night on Disney property to attend the Boo Bash.
Canceling Backup Plans
Due to the uncertainty of the cruise ship even sailing and the risk factors involved, I booked not one, but two backup plans.
The first backup plan was 4 nights at the Hyatt Ziva Cap Cana in the Dominican Republic. I used Hyatt points for the entire stay. I hadn’t yet booked airfare. Cancelling was a breeze online, and Hyatt redeposited my points within minutes. I would still love to stay at this resort someday.
My second backup plan involved a stay at Legoland Resort Hotel. When I reserved this, I paid an extra $29.99 fee to make the reservation refundable. I’m so glad I did. I had to call in to cancel this booking. But after waiting on hold for 15 minutes, the cancellation process was quick.
Travel continues to be a touchy subject during the pandemic on many sides of the coin. The decision on whether or not to travel and where to go is a very personal decision for every family and involves multiple considerations.
I am really looking forward to this special trip with my daughter, as it’s the last year I feel comfortable pulling her out of school for a trip. Fingers crossed we stay healthy in the weeks leading up to our departure so that we can go.
Nancy lives near Dallas, Texas, with her husband and three kids. Her favorite vacations include the beach, cruising and everything Disney.