This is a news recap from last week, tailored to regular families. For faster updates, follow Miles For Family on Twitter or check the feed on the right side of the blog.
1) Increased Amex Card Sign-Up Bonuses Available Again by DoC. If you are mildly tech-savvy and are willing to play with different browsers, check out this post with instructions on how to locate higher than normal Amex offers.
2) A fairly standard Staples promo: Get a $20 Visa Prepaid Card on a Purchase of $300 or more of Visa Gift Cards Ends 1/28/2017, in-store only. A great deal, especially if you are paying with Chase Ink Plus, since the card earns 5 points per dollar. (hat tip to Dansdeals)
3) 25% Transfer Bonus from Citi Thank You Points to Virgin Atlantic Means 8K Points to Europe by MileValue. Virgin Atlantic has added off-peak redemptions to its award chart, and that means many routes just got cheaper. Keep in mind, you can fly during first few weeks of June at a discounted rate, and that’s the best time to visit Europe.
Virgin Atlantic does add fuel surcharges (around $150 for outbound flights), but if you are paying 8,000 Thank You points per ticket, it can still be a decent deal. Availability is usually pretty good, so if you are planning to fly to London this summer, consider this transfer. You can book your return leg via different program.
4) Booking a Disney cruise with Citi Thank You points by Saverocity. This is an excellent post that shows you that there are many ways to redeem points, and they don’t always involve flights. I also got a serious kick out of Robert Dwyer’s post on his own blog: These Disney Cruises Infuriate Me: Why Do I Keep Booking Them? A quote: “They got us to our destinations safely and I appreciate that. But there never seems to be much shame in their game. Kind of like with Apple products: If you have an issue with Disney or Apple there must be something wrong with you.” Love it!
5) Probably won’t affect most of my readers, but be aware that you only have few weeks to book Hilton HHonors AXON discounted awards. If you have a decent stash of Hilton points and Hilton co-branded Amex credit card, now may be a good time to redeem them.
6) Sneak peek: New IHG PointBreaks list preview. The full list should be released today at noon and be available for booking on Monday. I recommend you follow LoyaltyLobby because they are usually the first ones to report on it. I’ll try to write a post later today once I see the full list of properties.
Image courtesy of imagerymajestic at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
8) A huge thanks to all of you who made donations in response to my post earlier this week! I am deeply touched and feel like I have the best readers in the world. So far we’ve raised close to $300, which is terrific. I am very grateful for your generosity and please know, the money WILL make a difference to this family. Right now they are waiting for test results and may end up going to Germany after all. So, this money should pay for their train tickets or hotel stay.
Like I told one of my readers, this isn’t something I plan on doing again. My blog isn’t about charity efforts and that’s not why people come here each day. But I wanted to make an exception just this once for the reasons outlined in the post. I will do one final update once I wire the money (sometime next week).
If you’ve found this content beneficial, please look at Support the Site page for ways you can help keep the blog running. Also, subscribe to receive free updates through email and recommend the site to your family and friends. You can follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and download free e-book
Leana is the owner and founder of Miles For Family. She enjoys beach vacations and visiting her family in Europe. Originally from Belarus, Leana resides in central Florida with her husband and two children.